Home Forums General News Save the planet, ditch cryptocurrency

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  drivepundits 6 days, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

danielhowell
    Participant

Is cryptocurrency mining contributing significantly to global warming, as suggested by at least one peer-reviewed science journal?

How do we deal with this issue?

Do we simply drop cryptocurrency? Do we cross our fingers and hope that improvements in computer efficiency and the growing contribution made by renewable energy sources will mitigate the effect?

And will cryptocurrency even be “a thing” in a few year’s time — given the burnt fingers many have gotten from playing with Bitcoin futures?

alexhsdr
    Participant

All too hard for this old geek. I was given some crypto currency (Not Bitcoin and not worth much at any time) as a Christmas present. I have tried to make some sense out of what I was given, how to convert it to real money or use it. what is it actually worth, etc and it all got put into the too hard try again later basket.

johnpketchum12
    Participant

The giver did put a pretty comprehensive info sheet together but is is still too hard.

Real money is easy to use (too easy in fact), everyone understands it, everyone uses it, it is a simple system, etc so I can see it will be around for the rest of my life and probably my kids life as well, even if is just on cards and computers with no real money left.

drivepundits
    Participant

Steve said it all for me. Except the bit about his wife is the computer literate one. My dearly beloved thinks you can make computers (& phones) do what you want by yelling at them.
    I’ve yet to hear of anyone in the real world who’s converted their cryptocurrency to real $$$ and retired to the Gold Coast. I do have a semi-nephew who appears to make a living out of computer gaming…..haven’t figured out just how.

danielhowell
    Participant

guess you could easily argue the creation of wealth through normal blood/sweat/tears creates significant C02 as well.

Australian mining – where fancy soil is shipped to other countries to return as shiny bling so kiddies can share falling off a cliff probably creates more carbonised O2 than the pseudo mining of bitcoin.

It all comes down to ease of use. I, like Stevesub1 cannot be bothered with conceptual money having value less determinable that the Zimbabwean peso. How does one swap bitcoin for a sammy at lunchtime?

alexhsdr
    Participant

i thought there might be some hope for it on a background ( read illegal ) level
    till i saw that
    callaghan has become the angel of death indicator

verselected
    Participant

While there are efforts underway to make anonymity and privacy easier to achieve, there are obvious downsides to full anonymity. Check out the DarkWallet project that is looking to beef up privacy and anonymity through stealth addresses and coin mixing.If you want to know more details please visit here instant cryptocurrency exchange

johnpketchum12
    Participant

Since his father’s factory was destroyed in the Syrian civil war, and his friend’s identity documents were lost as well, the unbanked Sukkar has taken a keen interest in ethereum-based identity solutions and financial products.

drivepundits
    Participant

Beyond Sukkar, several attendees told CoinDesk they came to this developers conference, and other smaller ethereum-centric events worldwide, to learn by contributing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

danielhowellSave the planet, ditch cryptocurrency